WoW is one can of worms

11:49 0 Comments

My reason for leaving is that I never started in the first place.

I've been a gamer my whole life but WoW is one can of worms I never wanted to touch. I've heard and seen it all about WoW and other MMOG games: a friend of mine was depressed and failed out of college (despite my warning him to stop playing), another friend's girlfriend left him for someone she met on WoW, a girl that I started to date and really like basically turned cold on me and went back to playing WoW to try to get back with her ex-boyfriend (and now has another boyfriend, probably WoW-related, and she doesn't talk to me anymore), a friend of a friend is addicted to WoW and the wife is about to file for divorce because he spends all his time on the game... the list goes on and on.

I'm so glad I woke up from playing games incessantly for hours on end and got to meet new people in real life, party a little, make some more money, enjoy trips to new places, and learn something new and useful. I'm not saying games are bad but MMOG addicts have unfortunately fallen into the trap of the financial and marketing model that is making Blizzard and other companies millions of dollars. This revenue model is the subscription-based games with no end and plenty of expansion packs. They are laughing all the way to the bank - at your expense.

The saddest part is that addicts don't recognize that they have so much potential and there's so much out there to see and do in the world. A lot of them would be so productive in other areas. So what if you're level 100. Will people remember you for what you've done?

Please, make your dreams a reality by waking up and doing something to achieve them. Playing the game all day and night keeps you locked in a fantasy that will never come true.

I still play games but now I try to lead a more balanced lifestyle. I look back on all the time I wasted and wish I had quit spending hours and hours playing online. I would've done better in school, gotten a better job, made closer friends, and had a better life.

Don't waste your life.

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments: